Sunday, September 5, 2010

the Jemez Mountains...

It is specified in my will that, when I die, I want my ashes to be scattered over the Jemez Mountains. So beautiful! The dozens of canyons radiating in all directions from the collapsed caldera of this dormant volcano are each unique, mysterious, and breathtakingly beautiful. However difficult or strenuous the journey, when I ride there I always feel that I belong.

On this particular journey, Todd Flatz and I determined to connect two trails by a route neither of us had tried before.

Before we lost cell phone coverage, Todd stayed busy shifting his investments around in anticipation of a big day on Wall Street.


I hope you scored some big dividends Mr. Day Trader, it would be nice if you shared the wealth a little.



From the many bikes in my stable, I elected to ride my sweet Michelob Ultra Trail Shreddr Deluxe:





Many many miles of climbing are required to get from Dixon's Apple Orchard near Cochiti lake (elevation ~6,000 feet) to the top of Cochiti Mesa (elevation ~8,600 feet).

Yours truly on a very welcome flat spot:



And Mr. Flatz on the only other flat spot:



We finally reached Cochiti Mesa and headed down the "Killer Switchbacks" (true trail name), on which we would descend 1,200 feet in about a quarter-mile. Steep and skinny! FOCUS is the word.





We did NOT see this rainbow at any point during the ride:




Todd tried hard to keep up with me on the descent:



The final 6-mile ripping descent down Media Dia canyon was, as always, WAY too fun to stop for any photos. There are few trails in Northern New Mexico as sweet as this one.


Post-ride recovery nutrition so that I can do this ride again tomorrow:



Thanks for looking!

1 comment:

Bernadette said...

Wow, so beautiful; the photos as well as the writing. Thank you so much for sharing your joy :O)