Tuesday, January 24, 2012

2012 is the Year of the Cat

The Black Cat, to be specific.






Behold:




Around TWO YEARS ago, I put down my deposit for a new custom-built single speed bike. It was to be a gift from me to me to celebrate my 50th birthday. The builder, Todd Ingermanson aka Black Cat Bicycles, is getting pretty popular, and for good reason. His builds are solid and sexy, each one a work of art.




I tried to be patient, but my birthday came and went and still no new bicycle. So I told myself it would be more of a Christmas present.




I even made my own head tube badge to keep myself busy. On Christmas morning I ran down the stairs, and there, under the tree, STILL no shiny new bicycle. I guess Santa thought I was a bad boy last year.




Finally, Todd called and informed me that the bike was on the way. I unpacked it and was not disappointed. Curved top tube, swoopy seat stays, internal cable routing, just a beautiful creation.




The paint job was inspired by the head tube badge I had made. The Zia symbol gave Todd the idea to use a sort of Anasazi-style transition in the green paint. I think it came out nice.



The maiden voyage did not disappoint. The shorter wheel base afforded by the curved seat tube made the ride much more nimble and intuitive. The tapered steerer tube and 15 mm axle on the Fox fork had the bike carving turns like it was on rails. The long wait was worth every minute.

It's going to be a good year.

1 comment:

ssportsman said...

That is a very NICE bike! Might have to visit LA or meet up in Moab to see it in action (or you could come visit BC for some new trails). I miss riding with the LANL brew crew, those were some good days